Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Send Yourself a Postcard -- A Travel Tip

Years ago on a jaunt to Maui we took a snorkling trip with an activity group called Trilogy -- one of my favorite travel memories by the way.   Not only was the day's adventure well-organized and a total blast, the group extended the enjoyment of the day by capturing excellent video footage and selling this as an add-on, and something small but equally clever, they had each of the passengers  write themselves a Trilogy postcard from Maui which the group later mailed to their homes.  


I won't go into all the marketing benefits of this -- not my purpose here.  The point is the postcard was waiting for us when we returned home -- encoring instantly that incredible travel memory.   It was this postcard and my own mom's collection of postcards that I'd sent her from my many travels that comprised the beginnings of my own collection.  

Now where ever I go, I try to write myself a postcard from that place with the date.   Not only do I have a flush of memories hit me to distract me from bills and other less enjoyable mail, but I have a cheap souvenir which I add to my collection.   I keep the collection in a series of binders, which reside on a shelf under the TV in our family room for quick access -- along with photos, these postcards provide a quick review of all the places we've been.  

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! I did this from Antarctica, and loved it when I got the card in the mail after returning home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea. Any suggestions for places off the beaten path that may not have postcards of the areas? Maybe just a little notecard?

    Michelle
    @eSkyGuide

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually take blank cards with me and draw or paint something in those cases...

    ReplyDelete
  4. COOL idea! Thanks for describing it. We send postcards but NEVER to ourselves. This will be a whole new fun things for us. I think this idea would work great for regional/in-state travel, too, even if you know an area well and have lived there all your life. It might help us see the same old places with new, fresh eyes. I "repped" your idea on my Twitter account (thesnowbirds). Great BLOG!

    ReplyDelete

The Clock at Musee D’Orsay